Treating the Land With Respect
The Cumulus approach to sustainability includes:
- Composting with local wheat stubble and cow manure
- Growing native grasses between the rows, which helps the soil structure and fixes the soil nitrogen.
- Minimising the number of tractor runs between each row to about 10 per year, as each run compacts the soil structure and retards root growth.
- 100% drip irrigation. We use about 0.7 megalitres per hectare each year, compared to 3ML/Ha in Riverland vineyards
- Minimal herbicides and fungicides
In July 2010 we become a full member of Entwine Australia for both our winery and vineyard sites.
We were also recognised for our approach to sustainability at 2010 CGU Orange Outstanding Business Awards, with the following awards, recognition of the efforts by the team:
Winner Business Excellence - Agribusiness
Winner Business Excellence - Environmental Sustainability - Water Conservation